Léger, Fernand

Fernand Léger was born in Argentan, Orne, in 1881. Gifted for drawing, he moved to Paris in 1900, where he attended L’École des Arts Décoratifs and L’Académie Julian. He joined the artistic community of Paris and was seduced by Cubism. Thanks to his art dealer Daniel-Henry Kahnweiler he exhibited in Paris, Moscow and at the Armory Show in New York in 1913. He settled there in 1940 during the Second World War. This modern city gave him the inspiration for large compositions. Back in France he dedicated himself to monumental works in sculpture, mosaic and stained glass.

Fernand Léger died in 1955. The Fernand Léger Museum opened in Biot, Alpes-Maritimes, in 1960. (See picture.)

La Colombe

La Colombe, 1951, original lithograph signed by the artist and numbered 18/75, 64 x 49,5 cm

Sans titre

Sans titre, c. 1945, EA (Artist Proof), lithography, 45 x 28 cm